[Jingle] "Future Jingle SIG" Formation

Philipp Hancke fippo at goodadvice.pages.de
Mon Jul 15 19:07:33 UTC 2013

Am 08.07.2013 21:09, schrieb Philipp Hancke:
> Am 01.07.2013 17:45, schrieb Peter Saint-Andre:
>> On 7/1/13 8:18 AM, Dave Cridland wrote:
>>> On Mon, Jul 1, 2013 at 1:57 PM, Emil Ivov <emcho at jitsi.org
>>> <mailto:emcho at jitsi.org>> wrote:
>>>
>>>      I won't be able to do neither Thursday nor Friday, but you can go
>>>      ahead without me.
>>>
>>>      Otherwise, I should be available early next week.
>>>

>>> Early next week is fine for me as well, if that's easier for others...?
>>
>> Sounds good (I'll be offline on the 4th and 5th).
>
> since i did not see anyone today i suppose it's tomorrow 15 UTC then?
>
> I'll see if I can come up with some agenda bits...

Didn't, but at least nobody else showed up :-)

I'd summarize the current state of webrtc+jingle als follows:
current state of webrtc
- "brings p2p voice and video (and data!) to the open web platform"
- "profile of "RAI 2.0" functionality, defining a core set of RTP
   functionality developed over the last decade (e.g. end-to-end
   security, adaptive HD codecs, AVPF, etc.)" (B. Aboba)
- uses SDP as api (questioned at... w3c. or ietf. or both.)

current state of jingle
- jingle does xmlish sd, provides SDP mapping
- works, but hasn't been updated since 2009, sdp has new features
- jingle has been leading for features like trickle ice
- requires presence. multi-device and forking not solved.
- sox proposal.

webrtc+jingle
- state of the art media stack in the browser
- and as opensource c++ lib (with java and objective c bindings)
- webrtc.org solves a problem xmpp devs had with jingle in 2005

Dave's email at
http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/jingle/2013-June/001933.html describes
the aim of the SIG quite well.

Potential work items:
- review of current jingle specs (I have a long list of bugs)
- council (kev) wants input on sox
- new sdp features (BUNDLE, a=ssrc)
- sdp mapping in a single document / describe use of webrtc api for
   jingle?
- multidevice / forking (using <message/>, carbons, pep) issue?
- xep-0215 for turn?
- file transfer over datachannels?
- should we do dev advocacy?

Anything I missed? Any disagreements?