[Jingle] "Future Jingle SIG" Formation

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Wed Jul 17 19:36:56 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 7:01 PM, Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter at stpeter.im>wrote:

> BTW we had a good meeting today. The logs are here:
>
> http://logs.xmpp.org/jingle/130717/

A highly unstructured meeting, to be sure, but I have to admit I was
surprised by the high levels of energy and commitment.

Actions I took note of were:

a) Tobias Markmann (with PSA's help) is going to work on polishing the
Jingle File Transfer XEP (XEP-0234, currently deferred, but we have two
implementations at least). The SIG as a whole showed interest in
re-energising this area, possibly including SCTP/UDP datachannel
transports, and there was a suggestion that an interop might happen.

b) A few (ie, more than one) participant will write up various suggestions
for the list, including SDP/Jingle, Forking (in the sense of signalling
forking), and other ideas.

c) Emil and Fippo offered to work on updating our SDP parity, including
BUNDLE and improvements to Trickle ICE.

d) We discussed where Jingle really adds value to organizations deploying
it. One thing that was clear was federation, but there were other things
mentioned (presence, rosters, identity, integrated chat, and so on). My
reading from this was that there was clear energy to work on developer
advocacy to some degree.

That's not to say there wasn't plenty of other discussion, and plenty of
things we left out - I suggest we have a meeting next week, either the same
time, or else whatever suits. Next time there'll be a concrete agenda, and
I'm hoping some of the above might have generated some follow-up
discussions.

Thanks to all,

Dave.