[Jingle] "Future Jingle SIG" Formation

Ralph Meijer ralphm at ik.nu
Fri Jul 19 21:33:09 UTC 2013

On 2013-07-17 21:36, Dave Cridland wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 7:01 PM, Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter at stpeter.im
> <mailto:stpeter at stpeter.im>> wrote:
>
>     BTW we had a good meeting today. The logs are here:
>
>     http://logs.xmpp.org/jingle/130717/
>

> A highly unstructured meeting, to be sure, but I have to admit I was
> surprised by the high levels of energy and commitment.

Indeed that was a good one.

As some of you might be aware, there is a desire to get to a 1.0 version
of WebRTC, and there is a heated debate going on about that right now,
specifically on the use of SDP as an API surface. I think we should let
people active on the W3C public-webrtc and the IETF rtcweb mailing lists
know we formed, with a short reasoning of why we thought we needed the
SIG and maybe a brief summary of what Jingle really is.

The latter seems important to me, because reading those lists, people do
seem to know of Jingle, but not much about it. This fuels some
interesting side mentions of Jingle that are not accurate. For example,
I've seen Jingle, or maybe more specifically XEP-0167, mentioned as
merely an XML rendering of SDP. A brief visual inspection on the spec
might give you the same idea if you didn't know better.

Thoughts?

--
ralphm