[Jingle] "Future Jingle SIG" Formation

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Sun Jul 21 21:54:40 UTC 2013

On Fri, Jul 19, 2013 at 10:33 PM, Ralph Meijer <ralphm at ik.nu> wrote:

> On 2013-07-17 21:36, Dave Cridland wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 7:01 PM, Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter at stpeter.im
>> <mailto:stpeter at stpeter.im>> wrote:
>>
>>     BTW we had a good meeting today. The logs are here:
>>
>>     http://logs.xmpp.org/jingle/**130717/<http://logs.xmpp.org/jingle/130717/>
>>

>> A highly unstructured meeting, to be sure, but I have to admit I was
>> surprised by the high levels of energy and commitment.
>>

> Indeed that was a good one.
>
> As some of you might be aware, there is a desire to get to a 1.0 version
> of WebRTC, and there is a heated debate going on about that right now,
> specifically on the use of SDP as an API surface. I think we should let
> people active on the W3C public-webrtc and the IETF rtcweb mailing lists
> know we formed, with a short reasoning of why we thought we needed the SIG
> and maybe a brief summary of what Jingle really is.
>
> The latter seems important to me, because reading those lists, people do
> seem to know of Jingle, but not much about it. This fuels some interesting
> side mentions of Jingle that are not accurate. For example, I've seen
> Jingle, or maybe more specifically XEP-0167, mentioned as merely an XML
> rendering of SDP. A brief visual inspection on the spec might give you the
> same idea if you didn't know better.

We can do this in a number of ways, but one option might be a XEP acting as
an informational introduction to Jingle for SIP people.

This has a few advantages over a simple message to the list - first, it's a
living document that'll be available in a useful form forever, and second,
it would have the support of the XSF as a whole, and therefore act as an
official liason document (should we wish to get all formal).

Dave.