[Jingle] Proposed message to send to the IETF rtcweb and W3C WebRTC working groups.

Ralph Meijer ralphm at ik.nu
Mon Jul 22 09:45:46 UTC 2013

As discussed briefly in the "Future Jingle SIG" Formation thread, I
suggested to send a message to the IETF rtcweb and W3C WebRTC working
groups to inform their respective participants about the formation of
the SIG.

I drafted the following message. Comments welcome!

-----✂-----✂-----

Hi all,

I would like to inform you of the recent formation [1] of the Jingle
Special Interest Group (SIG) at the XMPP Standards Foundation (XSF). The
recent increase of activity in the WebRTC and rtcweb working groups and
related high-profile product developments and announcements were reasons
for the XMPP Council to decide to concentrate efforts around Jingle in a
SIG.

Jingle [2] is a general framework for managing media sessions between
XMPP Sessions, including, but not limited to, audio/video streams, file
transfer and application sharing. There are several documents describing
applications of Jingle and the used transports, most linked from the
overall framework specification [3].

The specification of Jingle RTP Sessions [4], most relevant to these
working groups, defines a Jingle application type for negotiating RTP
sessions. It has been designed such that interoperability with SIP-based
systems is possible. This includes mapping negotiation parameters to and
from SDP, while remaining a signaling protocol in its own right (not
mere SDP in angle brackets).

The following work items were defined in the kick-off meeting last
Wednesday, July 17 [5, raw log 6]:

  * Re-examining the state of the various Jingle proposals.
  * Polishing Jingle File Transfer.
  * Updating the SDP mapping in [4], including BUNDLE and Trickle-ICE
    improvements.
  * Documenting and communicating the value proposition of Jingle/XMPP.

This SIG already includes a number of people participating in
discussions on the WebRTC and rtcweb mailing lists and is lead by Dave
Cridland (chair), Philipp Hancke, Lance Stout and myself. It is open to
anyone, and we are looking forward to cooperate with the WebRTC and
rtcweb working groups to improve both WebRTC and Jingle.

The discussion venues are the Jingle mailing list [7] and the Jingle
XMPP multi-user chat room [8]. Our next meeting in the MUC room is
Wednesday July 24 at 15:30 UTC and your participation would be highly
appreciated.

Thanks,

Ralph Meijer

[1] <http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/jingle/2013-June/001933.html>