[Jingle] Proposed message to send to the IETF rtcweb and W3C WebRTC working groups.

Emil Ivov emcho at jitsi.org
Mon Jul 22 11:39:50 UTC 2013

On 22.07.13, 13:09, Dele Olajide wrote:
> I applaud the effort as well, but I hope it is not too late. I
> suppose Google abandoning Jingle was a wake-up call (no pun
> intended).

I'd say it was above all an implementation/business choice made by a
company that's not even called Oracle, so let's not treat it as such ;)

> When I first proposed what has now been labelled SOX (SDP over XMPP)
> over a year ago, as an extension to Jingle and even wrote a draft
> XEP, I was shot down in flames.

You make it sound as if the XSF now suddenly decided to replace Jingle
with SDP and I don't believe such a decision has been made or that it's
even being considered.

> The point I made then is still valid
> right now. Jingle did not make itself attractive to all the web
> developers

Jingle could not make itself more attractive to web developers because
it simply uses a more advanced negotiation model than WebRTC's Offer/Answer.

If your API (WebRTC in this case) ties you into a specific negotiation
protocol then obviously you are going to have a hard time using it with
another.

I've already mentioned that having something like SoX seems like a handy
tool for WebRTC compatibility (if only to probe interest).

Replacing Jingle however is an entirely different matter. I don't
personally believe that WebRTC would keep its O/A dependency for a long
time (unless someone has a continued interest in crippling the API).
Once we move to a lower level API Jingle would be much easier to use and
at that point it would be great to have it around.

> looking for a protocol back then to implement WebRTC
> signalling and most of them have since adopted SIP over Websockets
> with JsSIP or did some custom SDP invite/offer/answer/terminate
> signalling with JSON and NodeJs.
 >
> Jingle is fast becoming irrelevant on a few WebRTC projects I have
> been working on since. We now integrate WebRTC directly into the chat
> and group-chat sessions.

I remember seeing a post from you where you mentioned that you actually
implemented something like SoX. Am I mistaken?

Either way, I don't believe anyone prevented you from doing so and the
fact that you are now going for another model only seems to indicate
that the whole exercise was (or would have been) kind of futile anyway.

You obviously needed something else.

People/applications who actually need a standard federated signalling
protocol would make their own choices. When they do Jingle has a number
of advantages that it could bring against SDP O/A

Emil

--
https://jitsi.org