[Jingle] Proposed message to send to the IETF rtcweb and W3C WebRTC working groups.

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Mon Jul 22 14:16:09 UTC 2013

On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 10:45 AM, Ralph Meijer <ralphm at ik.nu> wrote:

> As discussed briefly in the "Future Jingle SIG" Formation thread, I
> suggested to send a message to the IETF rtcweb and W3C WebRTC working
> groups to inform their respective participants about the formation of the
> SIG.
>
> I drafted the following message. Comments welcome!

This looks overall excellent, and I've no blocking objections to it being
sent as-is. It's of a different character than I'd had in mind, which makes
it unsuited to use as the basis for a XEP, but this is fine. I've some
suggestions inline below.

> -----✂-----✂-----
>
> Hi all,
>
> I would like to inform you of the recent formation [1] of the Jingle
> Special Interest Group (SIG) at the XMPP Standards Foundation (XSF). The
> recent increase of activity in the WebRTC and rtcweb working groups and
> related high-profile product developments and announcements were reasons
> for the XMPP Council to decide to concentrate efforts around Jingle in a
> SIG.

s/you/the group/

> Jingle [2] is a general framework for managing media sessions between XMPP
> Sessions, including, but not limited to, audio/video streams, file transfer
> and application sharing. There are several documents describing
> applications of Jingle and the used transports, most linked from the
> overall framework specification [3].
>
> The specification of Jingle RTP Sessions [4], most relevant to these
> working groups, defines a Jingle application type for negotiating RTP
> sessions. It has been designed such that interoperability with SIP-based
> systems is possible. This includes mapping negotiation parameters to and
> from SDP, while remaining a signaling protocol in its own right (not mere
> SDP in angle brackets).

"merely", rather than "mere".

> The following work items were defined in the kick-off meeting last
> Wednesday, July 17 [5, raw log 6]:
>
>  * Re-examining the state of the various Jingle proposals.
>  * Polishing Jingle File Transfer.
>  * Updating the SDP mapping in [4], including BUNDLE and Trickle-ICE
>    improvements.
>  * Documenting and communicating the value proposition of Jingle/XMPP.
>
> This SIG already includes a number of people participating in discussions
> on the WebRTC and rtcweb mailing lists and is lead by Dave Cridland
> (chair), Philipp Hancke, Lance Stout and myself. It is open to anyone, and
> we are looking forward to cooperate with the WebRTC and rtcweb working
> groups to improve both WebRTC and Jingle.
>
> The discussion venues are the Jingle mailing list [7] and the Jingle XMPP
> multi-user chat room [8]. Our next meeting in the MUC room is Wednesday
> July 24 at 15:30 UTC and your participation would be highly appreciated.
>

>From "and your", perhaps: ". This groups's experience and input would be
highly appreciated, and your participation in both the meeting and the
on-going discussion would be most welcome."