[Jingle] Proposed message to send to the IETF rtcweb and W3C WebRTC working groups.

Peter Thatcher pthatcher at google.com
Mon Jul 22 15:32:27 UTC 2013

On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 7:28 AM, Kevin Smith <kevin at kismith.co.uk> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 3:25 PM, Peter Thatcher <pthatcher at google.com>
> wrote:
> > Why do you think Google has abandoned Jingle?  Every realtime
> application I
> > know of at Google still uses Jingle for signalling.  In fact, here's the
> > open source code the mobile apps (Google Talk and Google+ Hangouts) use:
> >
> https://code.google.com/p/libjingle/source/browse/trunk/talk/p2p/base/sessionmessages.cc
> .
> > I can't show you the server-side code, but I have written much of it,
> and I
> > can tell you it's still using Jingle for signalling.
>
> Peter,
>   Thanks for this message - I think some people have assumed that
> after the recent noise about XMPP/Hangouts that this extended to
> hangouts not using Jingle. Your confirmation that this isn't true is
> much appreciated, as I don't think we generally have a clear picture
> beyond that a lot of noise has been made.

I think what was confusing is that the name "Hangouts" use to mean only
"group video chat", but ever since the product launch at Google IO this
year, it now also means "group text chat".  Much of the "recent noise", as
you call it, was actually about the text chat, not the video chat.  The
video chat portion didn't change much;  it still uses Jingle for signalling.

However, after having written my original "we still use Jingle" email, I
realized that there is an important point that might effect you:  the
Hangouts group video chat doesn't support third-party clients.  So from
your perspective, I admit that the fact that Hangout video chat uses Jingle
for signalling is a bit of an implementation detail, as Emil called it.