[Jingle] Proposed message to send to the IETF rtcweb and W3C WebRTC working groups.

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Mon Jul 22 16:24:28 UTC 2013

On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 4:38 PM, Peter Thatcher <pthatcher at google.com>wrote:

> The original question was about the relationship between WebRTC and other
> Google products, which I can't comment on.
>
> Do you have something else specifically that you would like me to comment
> on?  I might have to say "no, I can't comment", but you're free to ask.

For the most part, I was really angling for something more proactive than
answering specific questions. Pitching in with "We'd find $THING very
useful", or "We'll be implementing $THING, but we have to do $REQUIREMENT,
so this proposal won't work for us" at the right moment could make a lot of
difference.

The only real question I have is whether the current regression to a walled
garden is a permanent affair or not. Obviously if Google is explicitly
ruling out federating (and, for that matter, allowing third-party clients),
then while we're still interested in your experiences, it's going to alter
the way in which they impact the whole.

I'm not asking for a commitment to support federation next week, of course
- but if Google would be interested in revisiting interoperable video etc
in principle at some point, I'm sure there's plenty of us that would be
keen to remove as many technical barriers as possible.

Dave.