[Jingle] Join header for Jingle conferences

Emil Ivov emcho at jitsi.org
Fri Jul 26 23:36:55 UTC 2013

Hey all,

We are currently working on Jitsi's next version of Jingle conferencing
and we have one specific issue that we'd like to discuss here.

Imagine you use a user agent that can setup and host conferences. This
could be a dedicated conferencing server that connects as an XMPP client
to an XMPP server. It could also be an actual XMPP client with mixing
capabilities.

Either way, the most important part is that it is only registered with a
single JID. Something like mixer at example.com/mixer. A conference call
here is just a bunch of 1-to-1 calls whose content is being mixed or
relayed/translated.

Now here comes this new person that would like to join this existing
conference. How would she go about it?

She can't just call the mixer because it wouldn't know which conference
to place her in. In the case of a real user agent, there would be no way
to distinguish a regular incoming call from an attempt to join a
specific conference.

One of the ways SIP deals with this are Join headers (RFC3911).

How would we feel about defining something similar for Jingle?

For example:

   <jingle xmlns='urn:xmpp:jingle:1'
           action='session-initiate'
           initiator='romeo at montague.lit/orchard'
           sid='a73sjjvkla37jfea'>

*   <join sid='c95ullxmnc59lhgc'/>

     <content creator='initiator' name='voice'>
     </content>
   </jingle>

Potentially, we might want to add some possibility for authentication
... like a "secret" attribute for example:

     <join sid='c95ullxmnc59lhgc' secret='the-password-for-the-conf'/>

But we may want that into a separate element so that we could reuse it
for things like auto answer calls.

Thoughts?

Emil

--