[Juser] HTTP Proxy & Polling Applet not working.

Andrew Libby alibby at commnav.com
Thu Nov 21 11:59:12 CST 2002

Greetings,

I've been playing with Applets and Jabber a bit.
 From my experience most Jabber applets use port 5222
and speak Jabber proper.  This is nice because there's
no HTTP tunnel to worry about.  Unfortuniately
it means that port 5222 must still be open at the
firewall.

The Jabber applet I've played with is hosted at
sourceforge (https://sourceforge.net/projects/jabberapplet/).

I've seen an approach to tunneling TCP protocols
through HTTP.  I personally object to the approach.
An example of this is

http://www.nocrew.org/software/httptunnel.html

I suppose you could adapt the JabberApplet to
speak to the http tunnel.  The tunnel would then
speak to the jabber server.

IMO the jabber applet is a decent start at an applet
client.  Accoring to the sourceforge page the codebase has been static
since 2000.  It'd be nice to see some new development on it.

Hope this helps you.

Andy