[Juser] Re: Keeping messages on server?

Andreas Schildbach andreas at schildbach.de
Thu Nov 20 12:14:28 CST 2003

Peter Saint-Andre wrote:

>>> Something like this be possible once servers implement JEP-0013:
>>>
>>> http://www.jabber.org/jeps/jep-0013.html
>>>
>>> I know there are plans to add this to jabberd2 at some point.
>>
>>This doesn't look like serverside history to mee. More like a way to get
>>offline messages in a decent way. Sure you could stay offline all the
>>time and never delete any of the messages on the server, but that would
>>really cut down Jabber to just beeing another email-like facility.
>
> Andreas seemed to be asking for something like email, rather than
> server-side history.

Well, the client should still receive the messages instantly, not just
by polling every minute or so.

The difference to the current situation would be that if you are logged
in to the same account from multiple clients, all clients get new
messages instantly and all clients can look at the message history even
if they signed up "late".

Also, my outgoing messages should be somehow distributed to the other
clients, for example by recording them in the server side history, too.

The effect should be: if I have Jabber installed at two places and move
from place A to place B, I'd like to continue my conversations from A at
place B. This should not be dependent on having to logout out at place A
or keeping logged in at both places. This is why I compared it to IMAP,
because IMAP does this for eMail. Of course I don't want to loose the
"instant" nature of instant messaging.

Regards,

Andreas