[Juser] Re: Jabber and SMS

Mark Derricutt mark at talios.com
Wed Nov 26 04:39:35 CST 2003

On Fri, 07 Nov 2003 16:01:31 +1300, Rene Bartosh wrote:

> My mate Mark has made one, his Jabber ID is talios (at) myjabber (dot)
> net.
>
> If you only wish to send SMS's, plain old ICQ transport works, just send
> the following string to ANY real online ICQ user:

As Rene said, I've got native Jabber transport working with my companies
SMS gateway product.

The transport itself is an out of process java application with routes
jabber messages back and forth to our Bulletin Connect SOAP SMS gateway.
Currently this is just in a "test" environment as a proof of concept to my
bosses, and I plan to release the code to the transport as open source.

The key behind this particular transport which some people don't like, is
that it makes use of, and requires an account on our Bulletin Connect
system, which has a signup fee, and a per message cost ( free SMS just
doesn't happen in the real world... ).

This is more tailored to a corporate IM server installation where you wish
to provide SMS capabilities to your employees/users.

If anyone wishes to try out what's currently available, email me off list.

Mark