[Juser] Invisible disconnect

Matthias Wimmer m at tthias.net
Fri Sep 12 16:31:04 CDT 2003

Hi Remko!

Remko Troncon schrieb am 2003-09-12 11:01:04:
> I can never know when i am disconnected from my jabber server. When i go
> offline, my client appears to be online (and this lasts very long), so i
> have to 'guess' when i am offline. Is the problem with my client ? With
> the server ? Or with the Jabber protocol itself ?

Normally it is very uncommen that you are disconnected from a Jabber
server and if you are disconnected your client should notice this.

There are two exceptions:
- If you are using Masquerading/NAT (e.g. an Internet Router) this box
  may break the connection if you are idle two long. It may help that
  you enable keep alives in your client then.
- It may happen that one of the transports of your server crashes and
  you go offline in one of the non-Jabber-networks because of that. This
  is normally not notified to the Jabber clients.

Tot kijk
    Matthias