[Juser] Interconnection issues and jabber.org usage.

Ralph Meijer jabber.org at ralphm.ik.nu
Sat Feb 19 04:39:44 CST 2005

On Sat, Feb 19, 2005 at 05:53:56PM +1100, Michael Brown wrote:
> I have just taken to recommending to people that they don't use jabber.org
> - which is a bit sad since it is Jabber's flagship server in most peoples
> eyes.  But when S2S connections only work 20% of the time at best, it's
> really not worth considering as a production server.

Although I agree the interconnection problem needs to be solved, I don't agree
entirely with your reasoning.

People should always connect to a server near to them. I know of a lot of
people outside of the USA that use the jabber.org server, and this is really
silly. Jabber was designed with a distributed server network, and should be
used as such. Why should a message going from me in the Netherlands to someone
in germany go via the USA?

I think the jabber.org admins wouldn't mind (to put it mildly) if people
started migrating to more local servers. Also, they are in the middle of a
reorganisation of the jabber.org services (Jabber, web, e-mail), and in the
near future, the services should be back to stable again. Not sure about the
interconnect with amessage, though.

--
Groetjes,

Ralphm