[Juser] Interconnection issues and jabber.org usage.

Ralph Meijer jabber.org at ralphm.ik.nu
Wed Feb 23 06:32:57 CST 2005

On Sun, Feb 20, 2005 at 12:03:21PM +1100, Michael Brown wrote:
> >> I have just taken to recommending to people that they don't
> >> use jabber.org - which is a bit sad since it is Jabber's
> >> flagship server in most peoples eyes.  But when S2S
> >> connections only work 20% of the time at best, it's
> >> really not worth considering as a production server.
> >
> > Although I agree the interconnection problem needs to be
> > solved, I don't agree entirely with your reasoning.
> >
> > People should always connect to a server near to them.
>
> I don't agree entirely with your reasoning here either.  I'm not
> advocating everyone outside the USA uses jabber.org.  In fact I was
> suggesting people migrate away from it.
>
> There is a problem with this however. Are you saying that people who are
> currently using jabber.org as their server (and presumably have people on
> their contact list who are also on jabber.org) should migrate to other
> servers which can't connect to jabber.org?

No, as I stated, interconnection problems need attention, but besides that
I think people should use local server because of latency and scalability.
Having a system that supports a distributed server network, and users only
using one of the servers is not very practical.

> [..]
>
> > I know of a lot of people outside of the USA that use the
> > jabber.org server, and this is really silly. Jabber was
> > designed with a distributed server network, and should
> > be used as such. Why should a message going from me in
> > the Netherlands to someone in germany go via the USA?
>
> Simple economics.  Because of the brilliant way international traffic
> charges are structured, bandwidth is much more expensive here in Australia
> than in the US.  This translates into much cheaper hosting in the US,
> which is where my jabber/mail/web servers are located, and where they will
> stay until this changes.

Hmm, interesting, indeed.

--
Groetjes,