[Juser] Jabber instability

Matthias Wimmer m at tthias.net
Thu Mar 3 10:33:51 CST 2005

Hi Jan!

Jan Borsodi schrieb am 2005-03-03 16:25:44:
> I'm inquirying about some stability problems with jabber servers.
> We (employees at eZ systems) have been using jabber for a long while, most of
> used the jabber.at server. However after a while we  started to have serious
> problems with the servers and lost connections all the time.
>
> Due to this problems we decided to move everyone to the jabber.org server. I
> had personally used this server for several weeks without any problems.
> Everything went fine for about a week, then suddenly we started to see the
> same stability issues on jabber.org.

Well jabber.org might have been a bad choice. It is the server with the
most concurrent users which makes it also the server the hardest to
operate.

jabber.org has stability problems the last time since they updated their
setup and they are working on getting it better again.

You can either migrate again or wait until they have fixed their
problems. But I'd always suggest using a server local to you. And from
your domain I guess jabber.org is even on an other continent then your
users.

On http://www.jabber.org/network/ you can find a list of public Jabber
servers, that welcome new users.

> My question is then what can cause this problem?
> Is it the server itself that becomes unavailable?

For jabber.org at present ... yes :(

> We are all behind the same IP using masqeruading, could it be that the server
> kicks everyone from that IP due to bad data from a jabber client?

I don't know the internals of the client connection manager used by
jabber.org, but I don't expect that problems on one connection cause a
drop of other connections from the same IP. For other servers I can tell
you, that it is not the case.

> Is there any way to monitor requests from our IP and see when something goes
> wrong?

If I understand you right, the answer is "no". Jabber does not care very
much about IP addresses.

Tot kijk
    Matthias

--