[Juser] Jabber instability

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Thu Mar 3 22:50:20 CST 2005

On Thu, Mar 03, 2005 at 04:25:44PM +0100, Jan Borsodi wrote:

> Everything went fine for about a week, then suddenly we started to see the
> same stability issues on jabber.org.

We moved the server to a new machine and upgraded the connection
manager, which caused some instability.

> My question is then what can cause this problem?
> Is it the server itself that becomes unavailable?

Yes.

> We are all behind the same IP using masqeruading, could it be that the server
> kicks everyone from that IP due to bad data from a jabber client?

No.

> Is there any way to monitor requests from our IP and see when something goes
> wrong?

No.

In general, I do not recommend that companies use one of the public
servers for all their employees. That's why Jabber was designed with a
distributed architecture. I notice that your employees don't all use
Yahoo, Hotmail, or Gmail for email -- why do they all use jabber.org
for IM? Take control and run your own Jabber server! :-)

/psa

Jabber Software Foundation