[Juser] register at a Jabber server

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Mon Mar 14 09:54:50 CST 2005

On Mon, Mar 14, 2005 at 04:38:30PM +0100, Alessio Liburdi wrote:
> I have downloaded "psi-0.9.3", but when I try to register an account
> @jabber.linux.it, I fail
> because a server error:
>
> "There was an error communicating with the Jabber server.
> Details: Connection Error: Host not found"
>
> Maybe Am I behind a firewall? If it so I cannot use jabber, can I?

Maybe. You need to have ports 5222 and 5223 open in order to connect to
a Jabber server (well, most Jabber servers). Try to do this from the
command line:

  telnet jabber.linux.it 5222

If you don't get a response, you may not have the right ports open in
your firewall.

You can always use jabber80.com, though -- it listens on port 80.