[Juser] Anonimity in Jabber?

Daniel Carrera dcarrera at math.umd.edu
Wed Mar 23 06:41:02 CST 2005

Hello guys,

I just started using Jabber, and I love it!

I have a question. I'm looking for an IM alternative that can provide
privacy. I already plan to use Gaim with the OTR plugin to get encryption.
So that's not a problem. So all that's left is the anonimity of the
client's IP address. Since Jabber users intermediary servers, I hope that
Jabber can provide this.

Consider, for example, Romeo and Juliet talking:

   romeo -> montague.net -> capulet.org -> juliet

Juliet suspects that Tybalt has root access to the Capulet server, and is
plotting to kill Romeo. Tybalt can't read their conversation because they
are using OTR. But if he could get Romeo's client IP, he could find his
location and slay him.

If Romeo and Juliet used Jabber, would Romeo's IP be safe from Tybalt?

Thank you for your time. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
--
Daniel Carrera          | I don't want it perfect,
Join OOoAuthors today!  | I want it Tuesday.