[Juser] Federation

Etienne LAVANANT Etienne.Lavanant at int-evry.fr
Thu Sep 1 02:42:01 CDT 2005

Selon "Williams, Kevin C" <kevin.c.williams3 at boeing.com>:

> "automated bots registration" could you explain?  I'm still trying to grasp
> the federation concept.
>
> -Kevin

I mean that the way Jabber servers are set up today (open inband registration
through your Jabber client) allows anybody to create thousands of accounts in a
few minutes and SPAM the Jabber/XMPP network. If Google or any other server sees
this huge amount of SPAM coming from your server, you are likely to be
blacklisted by most of the servers. As a consequence, your regular users won't
be able to connect to anybody outside their server.

We have not had any problem till now because the Jabber/XMPP network was not
popular enough and nobody bothered doing it but as Google announced they are
committed to join the network and to invite other big players, the network is
getting much more attention and problems may come with it.

We must do something about it as soon as possible.

Federation is just the fact of allowing servers to communicate together just
like it is on the e-mail network or the open Jabber/XMPP network.

--
Etienne