[Juser] Re: ICQ full capabilities?

Paul Johnson baloo at ursine.ca
Mon Jul 24 13:38:50 CDT 2006

On Saturday 22 July 2006 07:50, Rodolfo Medina wrote:
> Thanks for the help, excuse some more questions:
>
> - is it possible to change the user's ICQ password through Jabber?

Yes, if they're using PyICQ for the transport's backend.

> - is it possible to ICQ video-communicate through Jabber?

I don't know of any transport that supports this or plans to support this.
Remember, if you have to do it through the transport, you're using bandwidth
from the jabber server for it, and I'm not sure how many people want to give
themselves a DDOS from having to handle video connections to the obsolete
networks.

> Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter at jabber.org> writes:
> > Gaim is a multi-protocol client so it doesn't know or care about Jabber
> > gateways, since it connects "natively" to ICQ.
>
> - what's the advantage of Jabber respect to multi-protocol IM clients
>   as Gaim, that connect natively to ICQ, MSN etc?

It's the only network that follows the open standard philosophy, therefor, all
clients that support Jabber are "official" clients.  It eliminates the need
for the obsolete networks entirely.

--
Paul Johnson
Email and IM (XMPP & Google Talk): baloo at ursine.ca