[Juser] Beginner question

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Mon Apr 30 09:31:13 CDT 2007

You probably want to ask these questions on the JDEV list, which is for
developers (this list is for end users):

Rodrigo Pimenta Carvalho wrote:
> Hi, I´m beginner within XMPP. In fact, I intend to understand a bit
> about it.
>
> Is it possible to build a Presence system, using XMPP and not using
> SIMPLE? I mean, is XMPP enough to build a Presence system? If not, what
> more technology should I use?

Sure, we've been building IM+presence systems with XMPP since 1999.

> Is the XMPP simpler than SIMPLE?

We think so.

> Can the Jingle protocol substitute the SIP or SIMPLE?

SIMPLE is for IM and presence. You don't need Jingle for that, just
basic XMPP as defined in RFCs 3920 and 3921. Jingle is a set of XMPP
extensions that gives you the ability to negotiate things like voice and
video sessions on top of XMPP.

> If I decide to implement a Presence system using XMPP and Jingle, what
> kind of help can I get from Jabber Software Foundation for such project?

The XMPP Standards Foundation (formerly the Jabber Software Foundation)
manages the protocol standards. There are many open-source projects that
you can contribute to for both servers and clients, go here for details:

http://www.jabber.org/software/

XMPP Standards Foundation