[Juser] Language tags

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Tue Dec 11 18:03:57 CST 2007

Gerrit Sangel wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> I have a question concerning language tags.
>
> In (X)HTML, you can specify the language for a specific paragraph or word via
> the lang attribute of XML, e.g.

> This is almost really necessary for Han characters, which were unified in
> Unicode. Characters, which look different in China or Japan have the same
> codepoint but have a different appearance controlled via the xml:lang
> attribute. In (X)HTML, the Browser will then choose an appropriate font for
> the characters.
>
> I wonder if this is also possible in Jabber?

Hmm, I see that we don't recommend this in XHTML-IM at the level of the

http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0071.html#profile-attributes-common

Do you want to send the same message <body/> in different languages, or
include different languages in the same <body/>?

> Because Jabber is an XML
> protocol, I think it should be generally possible to include the language tag
> in a message? Maybe just like <body xml:lang="ja"> and so on.

Yes, you can send multiple versions of the same message with different
xml:lang values.

> I tried this,
> but my client did not change anything (ok, I’m using Kopete, maybe it doesn’t
> support this). But this would then change the language for the entire
> message, I’d need to change the language for specific words.

We don't support that yet.

> I sometimes have the problem, that I am chatting with someone about Chinese
> and Japanese characters, but we can’t say „This is the way it looks in
> Chinese and that way in Japanese“, because the application uses the same font
> for all characters.

You can do it with separate messages, but not in the same message. At
least not yet.

And by "can" I mean that it is supported in the protocol, not
necessarily in all clients.

> Also, if I chat with a Japanese person, I would like to see a Japanese font,
> but when I’m chatting with a Chinese, I would like a Chinese font.
>
> Is this maybe possible? Kopete doesn’t seem to have this feature. Does anyone
> know of a Jabber client which would support this (given that the Jabber
> protocol supports this)?

See above.