[Juser] Language tags

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Wed Dec 12 12:32:54 CST 2007

Gerrit Sangel wrote:
> Thanks for the answer!
>
> Am Mittwoch 12 Dezember 2007 schrieb Peter Saint-Andre:
>> Hmm, I see that we don't recommend this in XHTML-IM at the level of the
>>
>> http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0071.html#profile-attributes-common
>>
>> Do you want to send the same message <body/> in different languages, or
>> include different languages in the same <body/>?
>
> Imho, different languages in the same <body/> would be best. In some cases it
> is necessary to switch the languages/scripts in the sentence.
> I have another example:
>
> If writing German Fraktur (blackletter), ISO 15924 gives the script code Latf.
> So if I would like to write Fraktur, I would have to define <body
> xml:lang="de-Latf"/>. But the problem is then that sometimes, e.g. for
> multiple capital letters directly following or foreign words, it is common
> practice to display them in normal latin script.
>
> For example:

> Even though one could argue that Jabber should be kept simple, I think this is
> an absolutely must have feature in order to write Fraktur. And in my opinion,
> every writing system should be supported. For Han, it may not be vital, but
> for Fraktur, which is “unified” with Latin in a much greater way than the
> different Han scripts (and which usually would not switch the script in a
> sentence), this is more or less necessary. And Fraktur needs the opportunity
> to switch to Latin in a sentence, so I don’t think a limitation to <body/> is
> really sufficient.
>

>>> I tried this,
>>> but my client did not change anything (ok, I’m using Kopete, maybe it
>>> doesn’t support this). But this would then change the language for the
>>> entire message, I’d need to change the language for specific words.
>> We don't support that yet.
>>
>>> I sometimes have the problem, that I am chatting with someone about
>>> Chinese and Japanese characters, but we can’t say „This is the way it
>>> looks in Chinese and that way in Japanese“, because the application uses
>>> the same font for all characters.
>> You can do it with separate messages, but not in the same message. At
>> least not yet.
>>
>> And by "can" I mean that it is supported in the protocol, not
>> necessarily in all clients.
>
> Ah, ok, but if it is supported in the protocol, this is a first step.

We should change "xml:lang" from NOT RECOMMENDED to OPTIONAL in XEP-0071
(XHTML-IM).

Then you could tag this in the XHTML. It still would not show up in the
normal <body/> but it would appear in the XHTML.

Of course, your client would need to support that, and the client used
by your conversation partner would need to support it as well.

So your next step is to chat with some client developers to see if they
will add this feature. :)

https://stpeter.im/