[Juser] pub/sub and multi-user chat

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Thu Dec 13 18:44:37 CST 2007

Patrick Logan wrote:
> Pub/sub may be an obvious mechanism for propagating events or any
> messages among systems, i.e. where there is no direct human
> participation in the network.
>
> Does anyone have interesting cases where something like multi-user
> chat was used in a system-to-system network?

Multi-user chat is typically used for textual chat among human users. I
do know of people who have used MUC rooms as control channels for things
like multimedia conferencing or classrooms, but I don't think that's
quite what you're looking for. Also I know of organizations that feed
automated data into chat rooms (e.g., market infromation). Naturally you
could also populate a MUC room with automated processes and let them
"chat" to their "hearts" content, but I have not heard about anyone
doing that.

The JDev list might be a better venue for this discussion...

https://stpeter.im/