[Juser] Nonsensical 'bounce' messages from googletalk - confused

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Tue May 22 14:55:43 CDT 2007

Richard Thrippleton wrote:
> A colleague of mine uses Google's jabber service to communicate with me, but
> it's proving very unreliable. The jabber server I'm using isn't Google's, and
> is under my control. Every so often, after sending me a message, I won't
> receive it, and anything up to 20s later he will receive a message from me
> stating:
>
> Your message could not be delivered: "hrmmm", Reason: ""
>
> (in this example, the message he was sending was 'hrmmm', just to clarify :) )
>
> In the past, this has occurred when my Jabber server is offline (network
> connectivity), but for some reason I still appear online to him. It's also
> happened when there've been no connectivity problems whatsoever (my server has
> been online). I've looked over my server logs after the fact and found no
> relevant errors.
> So, as a Jabber user - what does this mean? Is my client/server set up
> incorrectly, his client set up incorrectly, or bugs in Google's S2S
> implementation?

It sounds like a server-to-server communication problem. Do you know
what error your friend receives? Can you perhaps verify the error using
a test account running a Jabber client that shows you the XML stream? I
don't know the specifics of what might be happening on the Google Talk
end of things but getting a look at the raw XML stream there might help
debug.

XMPP Standards Foundation