[Juser] Presence, Priority, and Missing Messages

Robin Redeker elmex at x-paste.de
Mon Nov 12 01:48:15 CST 2007

On Fri, Nov 09, 2007 at 05:29:01AM -0600, John Goerzen wrote:
> Hi,

[.snip.]
> Say someone sends me a message in the middle of the night, and it goes
> to my home machine (due to when I logged in or whatever).  In the
> morning, I go straight to work without touching my home PC.  When I
> get there, my work machine's priority is raised.  But what of that
> message I got in the middle of the night?  I probably won't see it at
> work.  Same scenario could occur while I'm driving to work or
> something.
>
> So is there a good solution to this?

There is XEP-0146 (Remote Controlling Clients) which reads in section
4.2.:

  4.2. Forward Unread Messages Residing at a Remote Client

Which sounds like the best way here. But I don't know which clients support this.

> If I set up a privacy list that only goes into effect when I'm away,
> will the message be routed elsewhere? (That is, does blocking impact routing?)

Not to my knowledge, but I'm not into privacy lists much.

> Can I have messages routed both places?

That, to my knowledge, depends heavily on the used server.
The recent draft of RFC3921bis reads about resource priorities:

http://www.xmpp.org/internet-drafts/draft-saintandre-rfc3921bis-04.html
section 8.3.1.1.:

   In the case of a delivery tie, a server SHOULD deliver the message to all of
   the tied resources. However, before delivering the message, a server MAY remove
   one or more resources from the tie. Methods for doing so are outside the scope
   of this specification, but could include factors such as the resource's time of
   connection, time of last network or application activity, availability as
   determined by some hierarchy of <show/> values, or user-configured rules.

However, thats a very recent addition to the procotol specification itself and
there are probably no servers out there that would allow routing of
messages to all tied priorities.
So the answer to your quesion is afaik: No, you can't have messages routed to both
places (without a special server).

Robin