[Juser] facebook ignores XMPP status

Eric Will rakaur at malkier.net
Fri Feb 19 08:27:50 CST 2010

On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 10:08 AM, Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter at stpeter.im> wrote:
> Hi Jesse,
>
> It appears that the Facebook XMPP interface is just that -- an
> incomplete interface to what is still essentially an HTTP service. They
> support a minimal subset of XMPP functionality, which means only on/off
> presence and message bodies (perhaps with XHTML support). No extended
> data at all, no availability states, no IQs, etc. We're hoping that they
> will add more features over time...

I find it harder to use than just setting your client to "Facebook
Chat" really. The service is awful to begin with, but tacking a
non-secure non-RFC compliant partial implementation of XMPP on top of
it that some clients won't even work with is just, well, tacky.

I have yet to find an iPhone client to work with it. Beejive doesn't
allow non-TLS connections, so it's out. The few others I tried manage
to connect but disconnect soon after with errors from the server about
incorrect stanzas. If they're going to do it, they should do it right.
I know they have talented developers (or used to, a lot of them quit
because of recent privacy concerns), so what's the problem?

> Peter

-- Eric Will // rakaur