[Juser] Frequent timeouts with Telepathy

Kevin Smith kevin at kismith.co.uk
Sun Feb 21 03:12:02 CST 2010

On Sat, Feb 20, 2010 at 4:11 PM, Pauli Virtanen <pav at iki.fi> wrote:
> Hi,

> Telepathy-based XMPP clients (e.g. Empathy) seem to have timeout
> problems with Jabber.org. The connection stays on only for 10-30 min,
> then breaks and reconnects again. I'm pretty sure this behavior appeared
> only after the jabber.org server moves.
> Any ideas what is wrong? Does the above mean that XMPP ping does not
> work for some reason as expected, and this causes timeouts?

It looks from that like no stanzas have been sent over the stream for
ten minutes, so the server's sent a ping to check that the client is
still there. The client then seems to ignore the ping stanza, so the
server believes the connection has failed, and closes it.

If this is true, Telepathy needs a patch - replying to all iq stanzas
(even unknown ones like ping for Telepathy) is a requirement of XMPP.

/K