[Juser] jabber.org downtime

Kevin Smith kevin at kismith.co.uk
Sun Jan 24 10:19:30 CST 2010

On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 9:01 AM, Paul Fertser <fercerpav at gmail.com> wrote:
> Folks, i understand and value your efforts and really appreciate the
> service you're providing for jabber.org XMPP users.

Thanks.

> But there's one frustrating thing about it: lack of noticies. For me
> it's worse than the instability itself. I'd expect to see every
> planned or unexpected downtime announced either at the website or
> identi.ca with ETA for recovery listed.

Yes, sorry about the lack of notices of what we've been doing - mostly
it's down to having been rather busy fixing stuff instead of writing
about it, but we're going to look at posting to identi.ca again (we
stopped because some updates broke our relay bot for posting, but
we'll work around that), and we'll look at getting a widget to show
the identi.ca messages on the jabber.org front page.

> Right at the moment the server is unavailable for more than 12 hours
> straight and i've really no idea how many hours more i have to wait,
> that makes me feel really uncomfortable.

The server shouldn't have been unavailable for 12 hours straight. We
had a ~=1 hour outage yesterday afternoon when the disks filled and
everything went wrong because of that, but otherwise an outage lasts
less than 5 minutes. Are you still unable to connect now?

/K