[Juser] msg between yahoo-account and jabber-account

Nuno J. Silva nunojsilva at ist.utl.pt
Mon Oct 4 09:21:22 CST 2010

Bino Oetomo <bino at indoakses-online.com> writes:

> Dear Sir.
> Currently my workgroup use YM as IM.
> I installed ejabberd in my own development box.
> I'm sure that if I succed intalling yahoo transport in my ejabberd box
> , the user can connect to Yahoo via my ejabberd.

I've not used the yahoo transport actively, but unless it is radically
different from the others, my experience with other transports should
suffice to answer your questions.

> My question is :
> 1. Will the existing user need to use such as Pidgin for their Yahoo
> Client software ? can they just use default YM software ?

The existing users are the people from your workgroup who are using YM?
They don't need to use a different client, they can continue using
whatever they are already using, as far as it connects them to the
Yahoo!  Instant Messenger network.

> 2. If I write an XMPP bot that connect to my jabber as internal user
> account  (not a Yahoo user account), Will other user (with yahoo
> account) able to send msg to this script?

The other user will send a message to your yahoo account, which you need
to associate with your jabber account using the yahoo transport. The
transport acts as a bridge, so the other YIM users will see you as an
YIM user.

Now, here is what you need to do to accomplish that:

No matter where is your account (on your server or somewhere else), you
first need to register with an Yahoo IM transport, like the one you
installed on your server.

You need an Yahoo account for this, if you don't have one you probably
just need to browse their website and follow some link to register.

Then you give your credentials to the transport, while registering (so
the transport can connect using your Yahoo account). This is done from a
Jabber client which can deal with transports, using the jabber account
you want to use to talk with Yahoo IM buddies, and just needs to be done
once.