[Juser] proposed changes to jabber.org service policy

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Mon Aug 20 16:28:04 UTC 2012

The jabber.org admin team is proposing several changes to the service
policy that governs your use of the service
<http://www.jabber.org/policy.html>. The proposed policy can be found
at <http://www.jabber.org/policy-proposed.html>. The material
differences are as follows.

###

1. Clarification of the purpose of the service.

OLD (Section 1)
The Jabber.org IM service exists primarily so that instant messaging
users all around the world can have an open IM experience. The service
is not built to host automated bots, distributed file exchange
systems, or other high-volume applications. If you run such an
application, your account might be subject to rate limits or or it
might be disabled completely, at the sole discretion of the admin
team. Low-bandwidth helper bots are acceptable.

NEW (Section 1)
The Jabber.org IM service exists primarily so that instant messaging
users all around the world can have a free and open IM experience.

The service is not built to host automated bots, distributed file
exchange systems, or other high-volume applications. If you run such
an application or you willingly interact with such an application,
your account might be subject to rate limits or it might be disabled
completely, at the sole discretion of the admin team. Low-bandwidth
helper bots are acceptable.

In addition, the service is not intended for mission-critical
commercial applications, such as customer support systems or corporate
IM deployments. If your organization wishes to use XMPP for such
applications, we strongly encourage you to run one of the many fine
XMPP server implementations at your own domain rather than use the
free jabber.org IM service. We cannot be held responsible for any
losses you might suffer from use of our free service.

2. Addition of a new section about legal compliance.

NEW (Section 4)
On occasion we receive court orders requesting information about
specific users of the jabber.org IM service. Although we comply with
such court orders, we do require a court order (not just an informal
request) before we will disclose information about any user of the
jabber.org IM service.

###

If you have comments about these proposed changes, please provide them
on the juser at jabber.org email list by September 20, 2012.

(In accordance with the service policy, these proposed changes will
also be forwarded to the Board of Directors of the XMPP Standards
Foundation as a sanity check.)

Thanks!

Peter

- --