[Juser] proposed changes to jabber.org service policy

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Tue Aug 21 14:41:29 UTC 2012

> On 8/21/12 3:05 AM, ubsy at riseup.net wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>
>>> I have not dealt with such a request so am speaking from a
>>> position of some ignorance, but I suspect that the requesting
>>> entities would, at least in some cases, require that those
>>> users whose data are being requested not be told in advance.
>
>> Yeah Kevin, when you put it that way it sounds awfully
>> reasonable.
>
>> Well: What about another proposition:
>
>> Even though we are legally obligated to disclose information
>> about our users when specifically requested to do so under court
>> order we may only disclose such information which we have in the
>> first place. These are:
>
>> 1. IP addresses, dates, and times associated with authentication
>> attempts 2. Roster contacts (that is ISP contacts?)
>
> Not ISP contacts (I don't know what that would be), but JabberIDs
> in the buddy list that you store on the server.
>
> I agree that it would be good to make it clear what information we
> do and do not share when we receive a court order.
>
>> We do not save XMPP stanzas passing through the service, payment
>>  information, or email addresses or attachments of our users.
>
> Among other things, yes. Some of the court orders I have received
> for jabber.org requested some strange things (which would be normal
> for an ISP or email service but simply don't apply to an IM
> service).

Here is a proposal for revised text:

###

Very rarely, we have received court orders requesting information
about specific users of the jabber.org IM service. Although we comply
with such court orders, we do require a court order (not just an
informal request) before we will disclose information about any user
of the jabber.org IM service. If such an order enjoins us not to
disclose the request to the user about whom information is being
requested, we also comply with that aspect of the order.

Under these circumstances, the only kinds of information we provide
are: dates, times, and IP addresses associated with login and logout
events on the jabber.org IM service; and Jabber IDs of contacts stored
in the XMPP "roster" on the jabber.org IM service. We do not provide
information about messages sent or received (neither intended
recipients nor message payloads), chatrooms joined, vCards requested,
or other real-time XMPP exchanges (because we do not have the
capability to obtain such information), nor do we provide information
that is sometimes requested but inapplicable in the context of a free
instant messaging service, such as telephone numbers, MAC addresses,
email attachments, and payment methods.

###

Peter

- --