[Juser] Facebook's XMPP service

Wed Aug 21 09:39:59 UTC 2013

Am Mittwoch, 21. August 2013, 11:10:38 schrieb Torsten Bronger:
> Hallöchen!
>
> Does anybody else also experience deterioration of Facebook's XMPP
> service?  First, avatars and user names disappeared regularly and
> temorarily from my roster, and now there is no group anymore for
> Facebook contacts.  They all appear in the "no group" group.  Two
> years ago, Facebook even translated Facebook groups to XMPP groups
> -- they gave that up eventually.
>
> I have the impresion that Facebook tries to freeze third party
> client users out of the Facebook chat.  Probably because they cannot
> display ads this way.
>
> I also observe that Gajim suffers a lot more than Xabber.  What are
> your experiences?

Servus!

I'm using Pidgin on KDE/Linux, things I've experienced:

- Conection aborts, it usually works after a reconnect
- Alias names are replaced by -1335456752434 at chat.facebook.com
- I don't think I had user names disappearing but not I would not had noticed
it for sure.
- Sometimes there is something wrong with the XMPP group, can't tell more
precise now and can't reproduce it.

If they want to drive me away from using XMPP to webchat FB needs to do a lot
more, since their webchat is even shittier.

Regards,
Florian