[Juser] Lost messages

Torsten Bronger bronger at physik.rwth-aachen.de
Fri Jan 24 09:41:06 UTC 2014

Hallöchen!

Alois Mahdal writes:

> On Mon, 20 Jan 2014 08:06:02 +0100
> Torsten Bronger <bronger at physik.rwth-aachen.de> wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>> But messages can't get through for obvious reasons.  I thought
>> that they are stored on the server and delivered at a later time,
>> but this doesn't happen.
>
> This is possible, but AFAIK not default for most free public
> servers.  There are more reasons for this.  First, the messages
> need to be stored somewhere, which costs money.  Then, some people
> would not like if their messages were stored any longer than
> necessary.

Well, they *are* stored and delivered later if the buddy is offline
and I sent something.  This is weird: If I see him online => message
may be lost, if I see him offline => message is delivered later.  We
observed this on at least two servers, the commercial gmx.net and
the free draugr.de.

So there surely is a problem with XMPP, at least with these
implementations.

I will try to contact the admin of draugr.de, possibly ejabberd has
a feature like "store unreceived messages for later delivery".

Tschö,
Torsten.

Torsten Bronger    Jabber ID: torsten.bronger at jabber.rwth-aachen.de
                                  or http://bronger-jmp.appspot.com