[Members] Board meeting minutes, 2009-10-28

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Wed Oct 28 13:34:13 CDT 2009


-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Minutes of the XSF Board meeting held 2009-10-28. Corrections and
amplifications are welcome.

Scribe: Peter Saint-Andre

In attendance: all Board members (Jack Moffitt arrived late because of
scheduling confusion and had to leave a bit early) as well as some XSF
members (first open meeting of the Board).

Agenda:

1. Finances
2. FOSDEM / XMPP Summit
3. AOB

0. Agenda bashing

Alexander Gnauck (XSF Secretary) asked about Bylaws items to be included
during the upcoming voting period.

=> Action item: Peter Saint-Andre to work ASAP with the Board on
specific wording so that we can increase the Board size.

1. Finances

Peter Saint-Andre reported that the XSF has $10,483.87 in the bank. The
main expense for the past few years has been running the XMPP Summit
meetings. This year we spent $2,639.07 in Brussels at Summit 6 (mainly
for the hotel meeting room) and $1,455.15 in San Jose at Summit 7
(mainly for the XSF dinner). Consensus in the meeting that we could
pursue sponsors for the Summit events, but that we need to quantify the
value to sponsors.

=> Action item: Board to work on quantifying value to sponsors.

2. FOSDEM / Summit 8

Consensus among the Board to move ahead with plans for a meeting in
Brussels, given the state of XSF finances (with the proviso that we need
to seek sponsors, opportunities to sell items, ask for donations from
participants, or some combination thereof).

=> Action item: Ralph Meijer to submit a request for dev room and stand.

=> Action item: Will Sheward to post to members@ about the hotel.

=> Action item: Peter Saint-Andre to write a blog + list post about
submitting proposals to give talks in the dev room.

3. Any other business?

None.

MEETING ADJOURNED.

The chatlog follows.

###

*** 2009-10-28
[10:11:54] *** stpeter has set the subject to: XSF Board Room
[10:13:30] *** Nÿco (nyco at jabber.fr/PsiMac) has joined the room as a
participant
[10:14:03] *** Will (will.sheward at isode.com/Burton) has joined the room
as a participant and a member
[10:14:11] <Will> yes, that's ok :-)
[10:14:47] <Nÿco> ok ;-)
[10:14:53] <stpeter> the room was members-only
[10:15:25] <Nÿco> hi Peter, thx for the add
[10:16:15] <stpeter> now the room is public
[10:16:53] <stpeter> I'm on a conference call with OASIS right now so I
am a bit distracted
[10:17:11] *** Will (will.sheward at isode.com/Burton) has left the room
[10:20:27] *** Florian
(admin at im.flosoft.biz/talkonaut-S60-3rd_5.56.72_3gjpV5) has joined the
room as a participant and a member
[10:27:20] *** Alex (gnauck at jabber.org/Alex-TP) has joined the room as a
moderator and an owner
[10:27:52] <Alex> good afternoon @all
[10:28:04] <Florian> Hi
[10:28:09] <Nÿco> hi
[10:33:40] <Alex> wiki.xmpp.org does not work for me again :(
[10:35:47] <Nÿco> works for me...
[10:36:09] <Alex> now it works again, goes on and off.
[10:36:52] <Nÿco> it's connected to X-mas tree
[10:37:20] <stpeter> Nÿco: :)
[10:37:34] <stpeter> the infrastructure team will be migrating DNS soon
to solve these problems
[10:37:45] <Alex> our xmas trees don't blonk ;-)
[10:37:52] <Alex> blink
[10:41:40] *** Tobias (tm at ayena.de/home) has joined the room as a
participant
[10:42:01] *** Kev (kevin at doomsong.co.uk/aegeus) has joined the room as
a participant
[10:44:26] <Kev> If the room is now not members-only, would it make
sense to mod Will, Jack and Florian (follow the same model as the
council room)?
[10:44:37] <stpeter> yes
[10:45:36] *** Florian is now a moderator and an administrator
[10:46:18] <stpeter> done
[10:46:53] <Kev> Thanks. Now I AFK for a few hours and read the log when
I get back :)
[10:47:20] <stpeter> :P
[10:48:41] *** ralphm (ralphm at ik.nu/Dwaal2) has joined the room as a
participant
[10:49:26] *ralphm waves
[10:49:43] <Florian> Hi
[10:55:30] *** Will (will.sheward at isode.com/Burton) has joined the room
as a moderator and an administrator
[10:55:50] <Will> ooo - i'm a moderator - promotion at last :-)
[10:55:54] <stpeter> ok, conference call over here
[10:56:11] <Florian> Hehe
[10:56:22] <ralphm> with 3 minutes to spare
[10:56:35] <Florian> Ping
[10:56:37] <ralphm> get a cup of your fav poison
[10:57:09] <Will> Alas, I'm driving home today - so no hard stuff,
unless you count coffee
[10:57:18] <ralphm> water kills too
[10:57:22] <Will> :-)
[10:57:37] <Florian> Hehe
[10:57:59] <Florian> Will, do you have the topics for today
[10:58:18] <Will> 1. money, 2. fosdem, 3. aob
[10:58:22] <Will> ?
[10:58:23] <Florian> As I'm on the mobile, I don't have that mail
[10:58:28] <Will> ahhh
[10:58:36] <Florian> Sounds about right
[10:59:44] <Will> and 4. Sponsors
[10:59:57] <Will> or possibly 2a. :-)
[11:00:23] <Alex> can I suggest an agenda item?
[11:00:41] <stpeter> sure, that's agenda bashing
[11:01:43] <Alex> I should start voting tomorrow, so we would have to
fgure out the bylaw changes for voting, or delay it for the next
application period
[11:02:22] <Will> we shouldn't delay if possible. we certainly need to
sort out the Board Size issues
[11:04:42] <Florian> Yes
[11:05:05] <Will> wow - it took you 2 minutes to type 'Yes', you need an
iphone ;-)
[11:05:31] <Florian> Lol
[11:06:20] <Florian> Right, well we proposed to change the bylaws to our
second proposal
[11:07:07] <stpeter> did I miss the exact text that was posted?
[11:07:51] <Florian> It was in the summary of the first board meeting
[11:08:52] <Alex> for the voting I think we need a page the proposed
changes to link in memberbot with a Yes/no question
[11:09:01] <ralphm> are we still agenda bashing?
[11:09:09] <stpeter> Alex: yes
[11:09:40] <stpeter> ralphm: we're discussing Alex's AOB, it seems
[11:09:50] <stpeter> so perhaps it would be good to finish agenda bashing
[11:10:10] <Will> .. and start with Alex's item, as it seems current
[11:10:17] <ralphm> :-)
[11:10:35] <stpeter> I see
http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/members/2009-October/005290.html and it
says:

PROPOSAL 2: Resolve membership election voting ties with a virtual coin
toss.

 Currently the bylaws do not give any guidance when several candidates
are tied for a position that only a subset of the candidates can win.
This needs to be addressed.

 This proposal would adopt the methods in RFC 3797 - publicly
verifiable random selection. In essence, a source of randomness is
publicly chosen, and an algorithm used to select randomly among the
candidates.  This is the process used by the IETF, and we feel it
would work well for the XSF as well.

 Thanks to Kurt Zeilenga for refering us to this solution.

[11:10:51] <stpeter> Florian: is that what you are referring to?
[11:11:15] <Florian> Which?
[11:11:17] <Will> We also need to include Proposal 1, about changing the
Board size
[11:11:26] <Florian> Yes
[11:11:51] <stpeter> so I think that we need specific text that will be
changed in the Bylaws
[11:12:18] <stpeter> it's not good enough to say "we want to change the
bylaws so that we'll resolve membership election voting ties with a
virtual coin toss"
[11:12:18] <Florian> Ok
[11:12:21] <stpeter> we need specific wording
[11:12:34] <stpeter> so that we know exactly what text will go in the bylaws
[11:12:47] <stpeter> I can work with the Board on that so that we have text
[11:12:57] <Alex> stpeter: yes, I agree
[11:13:06] <Florian> That would be great
[11:13:10] <Will> +1
[11:13:15] <Florian> +1
[11:13:26] <Will> can anyone see Jack?
[11:13:29] <stpeter> ok so we will work on that and post to the members list
[11:13:35] <stpeter> Will: heh, I just poked him
[11:14:39] *** jack (jack at chesspark.com/cactus) has joined the room as a
moderator and an administrator
[11:14:50] <Will> hi jack
[11:14:52] <jack> hello all
[11:15:05] <jack> sorry, i'm late, but we forgot to put the time in the
xsf calendar :)
[11:15:21] <jack> unfortunately I only have 15 mins before I have to run
to lunch as well.
[11:15:23] <stpeter> ok so we'll wordsmith the text of the proposed
bylaws changes
[11:15:27] *jack reads backlog
[11:15:29] <ralphm> jack: :-)
[11:15:41] <stpeter> next item?
[11:15:44] <Will> Money
[11:15:55] <stpeter> ok
[11:16:36] <Will> so, what are the state of the xsf finances?
[11:16:43] <stpeter> so currently the XSF has 10,483.87 in the bank
[11:17:04] <stpeter> the financial summary page on the website is out of
date, unfortunately
[11:17:25] <stpeter> I need to go through the full history of income and
outflows to reconcile it
[11:17:33] <jack> how much did we spend last year at summit 6?
[11:17:41] <jack> (or whichever one was in brussels)
[11:17:43] *** Florian
(admin at im.flosoft.biz/talkonaut-S60-3rd_5.56.72_3gjpV5) has left the room
[11:17:44] *** Florian
(admin at im.flosoft.biz/talkonaut-S60-3rd_5.56.72_3gjpV5) has joined the
room as a moderator and an administrator
[11:18:30] <stpeter> we spent $2,639.07 in Brussels and $1,455.15 in San
Jose this year
[11:18:37] <Florian> Ok
[11:18:44] <stpeter> so ~4k total
[11:18:44] <Florian> What were the main costs?
[11:18:58] <stpeter> in Brussels the main cost was the hotel meeting room
[11:19:12] <Florian> Ok
[11:19:37] <stpeter> in San Jose the only expense was dinner, and we
didn't have someone as efficient about collecting money / donations or
else we would have spent less
[11:19:41] <ralphm> not the bacon?
[11:19:44] <Will> so, in short there's nothing preventing us from
repeating last year's FOSDEM model?
[11:19:48] <Will> the bacon was free
[11:20:03] <jack> there was bacon?
[11:20:06] <stpeter> Will: not really, but we could ask for a small
contribution to pay for the meeting room, or find a cheaper room
[11:20:10] <Florian> Hehe
[11:20:14] <jack> so looks like we need to raise at least $5k/yr
[11:20:14] <stpeter> jack: where there is Cridland, there is bacon
[11:20:21] <ralphm> jack: during breakfast
[11:20:26] <stpeter> jack: yes
[11:20:37] <Florian> I would say, let's try to get some sponsors for the
dinner and summit
[11:21:02] <Will> in which case we need to let sponsors know what they
get for their money
[11:21:06] <stpeter> yes
[11:21:20] <jack> the sponsors last year were all at the dinner as well
[11:21:22] <Will> which is something we talked about (and didn't come to
a conclusion about) this time last year ;-)
[11:21:29] <jack> so they got quality time with the brightest XMPP minds :)
[11:21:49] <stpeter> I've never been able to quantify the benefit to
sponsors, which is why I haven't done a great job of recruiting sponsors
[11:22:09] <Will> so action item 1: quantify benefits to sponsors
[11:22:23] *** Florian
(admin at im.flosoft.biz/talkonaut-S60-3rd_5.56.72_3gjpV5) has left the room
[11:22:23] *** Florian
(admin at im.flosoft.biz/talkonaut-S60-3rd_5.56.72_3gjpV5) has joined the
room as a moderator and an administrator
[11:22:38] <stpeter> Will: that sounds reasonable, yes
[11:23:05] *** Florian
(admin at im.flosoft.biz/talkonaut-S60-3rd_5.56.72_3gjpV5) has left the room
[11:23:09] *** Florian
(admin at im.flosoft.biz/talkonaut-S60-3rd_5.56.72_3gjpV5) has joined the
room as a moderator and an administrator
[11:23:54] *** Florian
(admin at im.flosoft.biz/talkonaut-S60-3rd_5.56.72_3gjpV5) has left the room
[11:24:11] <Will> there's a wider issue of XSF sponsors .... are the
ones listed on site at the moment current?
[11:24:11] <jack> you alright florian? :)
[11:24:17] <stpeter> and these days we'll need to quantify the benefit
[11:24:28] <Will> stpeter: yes
[11:24:33] *** Florian
(admin at im.flosoft.biz/talkonaut-S60-3rd_5.56.72_3gjpV5) has joined the
room as a moderator and an administrator
[11:24:44] <stpeter> Will: doubtfully -- we have not been precise about
time periods for sponsorship
[11:25:02] <jack> well, that makes our job easy
[11:25:03] <Will> we need to be precise i think
[11:25:10] <stpeter> another approach is to ditch the sponsors and fund
our main expense (Summits) through small donations obtained from those
who attend
[11:25:12] <jack> we can just say "your term is ended, and we'd love for
you to renew"
[11:25:22] <Will> if people don't know when their sponsor period ends,
they don't know when to pay us again
[11:25:35] <stpeter> correct
[11:25:45] <Florian> +1 for quantifying sponsorship
[11:26:20] <ralphm> I would try to do both
[11:26:36] <stpeter> ralphm: right, it's not exclusively one or the other
[11:26:41] <ralphm> I don't think it hurts to have more money
[11:26:41] <Florian> We can also make some money through shirts
[11:26:53] <ralphm> those went *fast*
[11:26:56] <stpeter> Florian: right, we didn't charge enough last year :)
[11:27:04] <Florian> Right
[11:27:05] <stpeter> *only five euros!*
[11:27:27] <stpeter> ok, speaking of FOSDEM, what do we need to do?
[11:27:30] <Florian> sell some 'goodies' with a markup
[11:27:45] <stpeter> who is going to apply for the dev room etc?
[11:27:54] <Florian> I hate giving money for nothing in return
[11:27:56] <Alex> you have to sell lots of shirts to get some bucks,
sponsoring is much easier
[11:27:56] <Will> we can now apply for a devroom (unlike last week)
[11:28:08] <Will> who did the application last year?
[11:28:16] <stpeter> dev room is free, it's the hotel room that costs money
[11:28:16] <jack> how much did we make per shirt last year?
[11:28:21] <Florian> stpeter / ralphm?
[11:28:40] <stpeter> I think I might have made the application last
year, but perhaps ralphm did -- I can't recall
[11:29:18] <Will> ok, so we need to apply for a dev room and a stand -
action item 2
[11:29:45] <Will> stpeter: do you recall if we had the talks sorted
before we applied?
[11:29:55] <stpeter> we did not, but I think they prefer it
[11:30:06] <jack> i don't think we did. we were makign changes to
schedule for quite a while. i'm sure we can easily get a few talk
proposals in
[11:30:14] <jack> it will help that hte room was PACKED last year i think
[11:30:20] <stpeter> ralphm knows the FOSDEM guys
[11:30:21] <Will> ok - we have a deadline for proposal of Nov 22
[11:30:23] <stpeter> jack: yes
[11:30:34] <Florian> jack: yup
[11:30:35] <ralphm> yes
[11:30:41] <stpeter> Will: that should give us time to gather talk proposals
[11:30:47] <Will> ..except for Cridland's talk :-)
[11:30:52] <ralphm> I can apply
[11:31:01] <stpeter> so we need to put out a call for talks
[11:31:08] <jack> ok guys, i have to run.  i'll follow up on list.
[11:31:12] <Florian> ralphm: that would be nice
[11:31:13] <stpeter> jack: thanks
[11:31:14] <Will> bye jack
[11:31:19] <Florian> Bye jack
[11:31:27] <ralphm> We don't need to have a list of talks yet
[11:31:43] <Will> ok, thanks ralphm
[11:31:49] <ralphm> .... Conditions for requests:

  * preference for requests with a general topic, eg. from projects with
    similar goals/domains,
  * be involved in Free or Opensource Software (the projects produce and
    release software under an opensource license or otherwise contributes to
    opensource activities and communities),
  * send us a devroom request before 2009-11-22 as described below,
[11:32:40] <ralphm> useful, though, would be its topic, goals and target
projects
[11:32:56] <ralphm> (see http://www.fosdem.org/2010/call-developer-rooms)
[11:33:34] <stpeter> ralphm: shall we create a page on wiki.xmpp.org to
hash out the text?
[11:33:41] <ralphm> sure
[11:33:54] <Will> ralphm, as you're doing the proposal do you want to
post to members calling for ideas for talks?
[11:34:07] <ralphm> Will: yeah
[11:34:22] <ralphm> but I would suggest sending it to jdev (too)
[11:34:28] <Will> ok
[11:34:32] <ralphm> and maybe write up a blog post
[11:34:32] <stpeter> yes
[11:34:40] <stpeter> +1 to blog
[11:35:12] *** Florian
(admin at im.flosoft.biz/talkonaut-S60-3rd_5.56.72_3gjpV5) has left the room
[11:35:14] <stpeter> ralphm: if you need blog privileges I can create
those for you
[11:35:16] *** Florian
(admin at im.flosoft.biz/talkonaut-S60-3rd_5.56.72_3gjpV5) has joined the
room as a moderator and an administrator
[11:35:38] <Will> +1 blog
[11:35:45] <Florian> +1
[11:36:01] <Florian> For blog
[11:36:44] <Will> i'll post to the relevant list re the hotel we used
last year - see if there are any objections to using it again if we cant
find anywhere better
[11:36:53] <stpeter> Will: ok thanks
[11:37:17] <stpeter> I think the hotel worked fine, but I had to wheedle
some things out of them (power cords and whatnot)
[11:37:29] <Florian> Cool, thanks
[11:37:32] <Will> we should also start kicking around ideas for things
to sell/giveaway
[11:37:39] <stpeter> agreed
[11:37:44] <stpeter> so is that it for now? AOB?
[11:37:52] <Will> i'll do the stand application for fosdem if you like
[11:38:10] <ralphm> what you want
[11:38:20] <ralphm> I think it is helpful for FOSDEM to have one contact
person
[11:38:29] <ralphm> I've done it many times
[11:38:31] <stpeter> agreed
[11:38:39] <Will> cool, thanks
[11:38:53] <Will> ralphm to do stand app as well
[11:40:01] <stpeter> WFM, thanks Ralph!
[11:40:08] <ralphm> np
[11:40:31] *** Florian
(admin at im.flosoft.biz/talkonaut-S60-3rd_5.56.72_3gjpV5) has left the room
[11:40:35] *** Florian
(admin at im.flosoft.biz/talkonaut-S60-3rd_5.56.72_3gjpV5) has joined the
room as a moderator and an administrator
[11:40:37] <Will> i have no AOB, although i do have a few
marketing-related items i'll kick around on the Board/Members list asap
[11:40:37] <stpeter> anything else?
[11:40:43] <stpeter> Will: ok
[11:40:51] <stpeter> I have no immediate other business
[11:40:54] <stpeter> we do have some action items
[11:41:02] <Will> who is going to write minutes? volunteers?
[11:41:46] <stpeter> I can do that if no one else has time
[11:41:57] <Florian> What is that?
[11:42:09] <stpeter> not sure, I never have any :P
[11:42:31] <Will> the last time i tried they ended up looking like War
and Peace in terms of length
[11:42:32] <Florian> sorry... The UK is a developing country, in terms
of mobile networks
[11:42:50] <Will> get an iphone you funny little foriegner
[11:43:02] <stpeter> so we're done?
[11:43:10] <Will> done here
[11:43:11] <stpeter> I'll send minutes to the members@ list
[11:43:16] *stpeter bangs the gavel
[11:43:24] <Florian> great
[11:43:42] <Tobias> stpeter: wasn't there supposed to be a financial
report by you?
[11:43:45] <Tobias> :)
[11:43:50] <Florian> The moment I finally get some coverage, the meeting
is over :(
[11:44:01] <stpeter> Tobias: that was the first topic we discussed
[11:44:03] <Florian> There was a brief one
[11:44:12] <Florian> 10k in the bank
[11:44:14] <stpeter> a full report will need to happen another day
[11:44:29] <Tobias> ahh..so short i didn't notice
[11:44:36] <Tobias> nevermind then
[11:47:30] <Will> ok - that's it for me - see you all next time
[11:47:49] <Florian> Bye
[11:48:03] *** Will (will.sheward at isode.com/Burton) has left the room
[11:48:05] <Nÿco> http://wiki.xmpp.org/web/Roundup#XMPP_Roundup_13 if
you want to contribute, as it will sonn be ready
[11:48:55] <stpeter> Nÿco: thanks, I'll look at that after I write the
minutes
[11:49:09] <Nÿco> ok, thx
[11:49:19] <Nÿco> still my specs section quite empty
[11:50:01] <stpeter> ok I will pay attention to that section
[11:53:31] <Nÿco> oh maybe I should add a paragraph that reviews the
reviews of Wave
[11:53:56] <Nÿco> ok, I'll write that, please wait before publishing
[11:54:12] <stpeter> Nÿco: BTW I set up a list for the communications
team, and as soon as we have DNS migrated to XSF machines we'll set up
chatrooms, too
[11:55:01] <Nÿco> ok
[11:55:03] <Nÿco> thx

###


-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.8 (Darwin)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org/

iEYEARECAAYFAkrojqUACgkQNL8k5A2w/vy6NQCcCZsF1rTOm/PqUyKlE4Iof/Ql
ix0AoOV/DTQhRc+bWO2/67L7cnv5Dj4G
=rhWb
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----


More information about the Members mailing list