[Members] XSF Board Minutes 20141119T1630Z

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Wed Nov 19 18:00:05 UTC 2014


These are DRAFT minutes and have not been approved by the Board.

Present: Laura Gill, Ralph Meijer, Adam Brault, Will Sheward and Simon
Tennant. Also Mike Taylor (outgoing Chair)

Meeting Start: http://logs.xmpp.org/xsf/2014-11-19#16:29:55

Ralph Acting Chair

0) Wellcome, Rollcall, Agenda bashing -
http://logs.xmpp.org/xsf/2014-11-19#16:30:42

Adam asked if there was a procedure document for how to add items to the
agenda, etc. Peter (Peter Saint-Andre) suggested Trello, Ralph noted things
were typically sent as email.

1) The New Board - http://logs.xmpp.org/xsf/2014-11-19#16:37:49

Some procedural confusion ensued; the upshot of which was that all present
agreed that there was no need to ratify or otherwise confirm that the new
Board is in effect.

Election of the Chair proceeded, with nominations for Laura Gill. These
were unanimously backed, and Mike Taylor resigned. Ralph continued to chair
the meeting with Laura's agreement.

RESULT: Laura Gill has been duly appointed to the position of Chair of the
XMPP Standards Foundation Board of Directors.

2) Format of meetings - http://logs.xmpp.org/xsf/2014-11-19#16:51:45

Simon wished to raise the issue of using voice/video meetings. Ralph
questioned the actual benefit. Will and Laura were both in favour.

Ralph and Dave (Dave Cridland) noted that voice/video may have an impact on
who participates, Kev (Kevin Smith) noted that it may have an impact on how
"open" the meetings were.

Mike noted that recordings should be made available.

Laura suggested the Board gathered options and report back next week; Ralph
noted that discussing these on members@ would be beneficial.

ACTION: Laura will raise this on members@

3) Minutes - http://logs.xmpp.org/xsf/2014-11-19#16:59:43

Dave has offered to be the minute-taker for all meetings. Unanimous
acceptance of this.

ACTION: Dave will take minutes each meeting until further notice.

4) Goals of this Board - http://logs.xmpp.org/xsf/2014-11-19#17:01:59

Will wished to raise the subject of goals, noting there's a large potential
for drift, and the membership may need something to measure our performance
against next year.

Ralph suggested the directors should come up with 3 items for next meeting.
Will and Laura agreed.

Simon suggested suggested the goals were already in the election nomination
pages; Laura noted these were personal promises rather than goals of the
Board as a whole. Peter compared them to politician's election promises.
SImon suggested that next year he will promise "baskets of cash and
hookers".

Peter proposed surveying the membership; Laura agreed.

Simon suggested putting goals onto Trello; all agreed.

5) Something about IRC - http://logs.xmpp.org/xsf/2014-11-19#17:07:15

Adam posted the "deliberately incendiary"
http://adambrault.com/2014/11/17/xmpp-community-should-switch-to-irc to
encourage the community to be accessible to devs who are doing new things
with XMPP

Ralph noted there are #xmpp and #jabber rooms on freenode which are very
quiet, and also that jdev@ and xsf@ are both relatively busy. Kev noted
that many people have been active via IRC for years. Adam clarified he
didn't mean to imply a lack of work; Will noted that the community remains
the same size despite this. Kev disputes that the community is not gaining
new additions.

Ralph wondered what the actual action points were. Adam and Will said it
was positive outreach.

Simon/Adam/Will referred to the existing communication channels (mailing
lists, chatrooms) as ivory towers, Ralph noted that they were open and
approachable, and Adam agreed, but noted a significant gap between the
community and those who could use its help.

Simon and Laura noted that new website was aimed at helping this.

Ralph noted there has been lots of discussion along these lines, but little
volunteering and action.

Discussion from Laura/Kev/Ralph on tracking Twitter, StackExchange, etc.

6) Let's Encrypt - http://logs.xmpp.org/xsf/2014-11-19#17:22:10

https://letsencrypt.org/

Ralph assumed everyone had seen this new effort headed by the Internet
Security Research Group.

Peter said he knew of the work, and new some of those involved. Dave said
he's touched base with Richard Barnes (Mozilla), who had said it was aimed
at HTTP servers, but should work with XMPP, and noted the XSF should get
involved.

Ralph asked if Dave had any idea on how to go about this; discussion
ensured on what the structure of ISRG is and how organizations could be
listed.

General agreement the XSF can and should involve itself, Ralph suggested
Peter should make contact as Executive Director. General agreement that the
Council should spearhead technical issues.

7) AOB - http://logs.xmpp.org/xsf/2014-11-19#17:32:38

Simon noted there was no movement on the website. Adam, Simon, and Laura
will discuss in detail OOB.

Dave thanked the members of the new Board for volunteering.

8) Date of Next - http://logs.xmpp.org/xsf/2014-11-19#17:34:18

Much discussion.

The regular meeting slot for the XSF Board has been moved to every Monday
1600Z

9) Close - http://logs.xmpp.org/xsf/2014-11-19#17:42:13

Ralph closed meeting here: http://logs.xmpp.org/xsf/2014-11-19#17:43:13
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/members/attachments/20141119/3e6f77d3/attachment.html>


More information about the Members mailing list