[Operators] server reputation

Jesse Thompson jesse.thompson at doit.wisc.edu
Fri Apr 18 18:01:20 CDT 2008

Neil Stevens wrote:
> Jesse Thompson wrote:
>> But you're probably right.  I don't really know how many legitimate
>> email/im messages would be blocked if I started blocking email/im from
>> any email/im server that is hosted on a dynamic network.  My feeling
>> is that there are very few legitimate email/im services that don't
>> have static IPs for their MX/s2s traffic.
>
> Well, I know many of the false positives that bounce my email as spam
> tend to be so-called DULs that are inaccurate.
>
> Whetehr this is acceptable depends on what your goal is: To deliver all
> legitimate traffic, while blocking as much spam as possible, or to block
> all spam, while delivering only some percentage of all legitimate traffic.

Remember that you were the one that brought up DULs.  Obviously, if the
blacklist was only a list of dynamic IP ranges, then it would probably
be a bad idea to use it as a single factor in blocking email/im traffic.

Some blacklists are better than others; some are manually populated,
some are automatically populated, some are based on history, and some
are based on criteria.  If you don't like the method of a blacklist, you
don't have to use it.  But there's no reason to remove that choice from
the operator of an email/im service.

Jesse