[Operators] server reputation

Brian Cully bcully at gmail.com
Tue Apr 22 14:08:45 CDT 2008

On 22-Apr-2008, at 12:50, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> Oh, I like that idea a lot! Validators rock (XHTML, Atom, etc.). We
> could run that at xmpp.net for sure. Once we create it, that is. ;-)

	Particularly if we're serious about known-root TLS for s2s. Doing
appropriate testing before deployment can be a real pain if you don't
have someone you can ping in various configuraitons.

> That's a bigger job, and directed more at coders than operators. But
> most definitely worth considering, too.

	s2s is obviously the lowest, ripest, fruit. But as XMPP expands I can
definitely see uses for "Is my server following XEP-4200?" As you say,
though, it's a lot more work. Once available, though, you could roll
it into the XEP process itself. It's always nice to have at least one
reference implementation to play with.

> By "Route Arbiter" do you mean this?
>
> http://www.radb.net/
>
> It's not clear to me how that would interact with the XMPP network or
> what it would mean to build something similar for the XMPP network, so
> perhaps you could expand on that?

	I think I spoke too hastily last night. After reflecting on my goals
I've come to the conclusion that it would almost certainly be too
invasive of privacy. It'd be nice to see how many people are on, or
number of s2s connections and peers, or aggregate bandwidth, or things
like that for troubleshooting, diagnosis, and planning at the network
level. However, I have a hard time seeing how it could be implemented
without either compromising privacy or being utterly useless due to
lack of (opt-in) data.

> Yeah, it's always great when someone else does the work. :)

	Thank God for the Internet! I don't know how we farmed out work to
suckers^Wvolunteers before it.

-bjc