[Operators] requiring channel encryption

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Tue Apr 29 15:50:21 CDT 2008

The jabber.org admin team has been discussing the option of requiring
STARTTLS (or legacy SSL on port 5223) for client-to-server connections,
and STARTTLS for server-to-server connections. I'm wondering:

1. Are any other XMPP services doing this right now (for c2s or s2s or
both)?

2. Are there any clients of importance that don't support either SSL or
STARTTLS?

3. What is your guess as to the percentage of XMPP services that won't
be able to connect to jabber.org for s2s when we make this change (even
if we accept self-signed certificates)? ;-)

I think we need to do this eventually because channel encryption is a
Good Thing -- it's just a matter of time. But feedback from other
service providers is welcome...