[Operators] requiring channel encryption

Jonathan Schleifer js-xog at webkeks.org
Wed Apr 30 07:32:02 CDT 2008

Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter at stpeter.im> wrote:

> The big problem seems to be Miranda, since it requires a plugin for
> SSL support. I've sent a message to the Miranda developers list about
> this.

My users never had problems with that since Miranda offers a link to
an .exe file you just have do double-click.

> Perhaps at jabber.org we will require c2s encryption before we require
> s2s encryption. But I think it's worthwhile to make the effort...

I think the other way around would be more useful. First, force those
who have the knowledge to fix it in a few minutes (it's just generating
a cert and one option - in every Jabber server). If that succeeded, we
can force those who maybe have less knowledge and need some time to
figure it out.
Anyway, forcing it for s2s would be faster achievable than having all
clients use STARTTLS by default.
This, I'd recommend trying to force TLS for s2s first.

--
Jonathan