[Operators] Strange registrations

Badlop badlop at gmail.com
Mon Aug 11 16:17:34 CDT 2008

On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 10:01 PM, Matthew Wild <mwild1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've had a couple of registrations on my (private) server also.
> Private in so much as, it's not listed on any list of public servers.
> They must be harvesting from somewhere.

Did you publish a JID of your Jabber server in internet indicating it
was a JID? For example:
And then a web crawler would search for "jabber:" and "xmpp:", and add
the servers to the list of potential hosts of spamjids.

Another way to learn your servername would be to login in a populated
non-anonymous chatroom and get JIDs of participants, then add their
servers to the list. But at least JDEV is anonymous, right?

---