[Operators] Secure Communications Week

Johansson Olle E oej at edvina.net
Fri Aug 15 11:03:50 CDT 2008

15 aug 2008 kl. 18.00 skrev Peter Saint-Andre:

> Johansson Olle E wrote:
>> 15 aug 2008 kl. 17.36 skrev Peter Saint-Andre:
>>>
>>> Yes, I know. That policy is set by the root CA we use (StartCom)
>>> and we don't have any control over it, since we're just an
>>> intermediate CA.
>> It's the same as for Geotrust's SSL certificates. In order to
>> confirm your domain, they want you to prove that you are in control
>> of the mail flow. That's why they only have a short list of pre-
>> defined mail addresses to choose from.
>> For Geotrust, it's webmaster and sslmaster. Could propably add
>> "xmppmaster" as well, but that's something that we only can suggest
>> from the community side.
>
> For StartCom it's hostmaster, postmaster, and webmaster, in
> accordance with RFC 2142. RFC 3920 mentions the xmpp@ address, but
> that it not accepted by StartCom as an official email address. I
> suppose I could work with them on that. :)

Well, as you have nothing to do, that could be an interesting way to
spend your time. An alternative could be running against the well a
few times. I don't know what gives more result, but trying to talk
with a commercial CA is certainly an interesting experience to tell
your grand-kids about one evening in front of the  fireplace... Good
luck!

/O ;-)