[Operators] Google Talk Federation Problems

Adam Fass afass at google.com
Tue Mar 25 18:11:14 CDT 2008

We recently deployed a fix that will prevent new Google Apps Team Edition
domains from interfering with existing federated domains. If a user signs up
for Team Edition using a domain that is already federated, Google Talk is
simply disabled for that Team Edition domain. Other services are still
available in Team Edition, and XMPP federation with Google will continue to
work.

If you are setting up a new federated domain and you find that someone has
already signed up for Team Edition, you can have the Talk service disabled
in Team Edition. We don't do this automatically when an SRV record appears
because users will lose the service and we want to make sure that a domain
operator understands this. There are two ways to have Talk disabled for a
Team Edition domain:

1. You can upgrade to Standard Edition (free) and disable Google Talk. See
this page for instructions:
http://www.google.com/support/a/bin/answer.py?answer=86647

2. If you prefer not to upgrade to Standard Edition, you can create an SRV
record for your domain and then send a request that Talk for Team Edition be
disabled to xmpp at google.com.

If you are having any other problem federating with Google, please report it
to xmpp at google.com. We choose not to publish this alias in our help
documentation because we did this before and many Talk client users used it
to report problems. We are announcing the alias here in the hope that we can
have direct communication with domain operators while ensuring that client
users go through the channel that we have designed for them.

We apologize for all of the inconvenience that this has caused and we thank
you all for your patience and feedback.

Adam M. Fass
Software Engineer
Google