[Operators] [Fwd: [ejabberd] Your server is a part of spammer/flood botnet!]

Mickaël Rémond mickael.remond at process-one.net
Sun May 4 07:15:34 CDT 2008

Hello,

I do not see what is the problem with disabling In Band Registration
on a server you own and how it threaten the XMPP network.
Anyone can run a server.  There are lots of free public servers.
Some have web registration with a specific process: you have to accept
usage conditions or provide email address or read a captcha, etc.
We need to have a registration mecanism that works inband and allow
server owner to customize it to fit their process and policy. Right
now the only IBR process available is create an account without asking
anything to anyone that ask for one, including bots. This is a bit
limited and that's why we need to work with Peter or something better.

I think is it is good for the XMPP network if server admins cares of
usage policy and agree that not all thing can be done on their server.
It is "administering" the server (making sure it works well, that
behaviour are appropriate, etc)

--
Mickaël Remond