[Operators] Meeting Notes

Sean Dilda sean at duke.edu
Wed May 7 19:14:43 CDT 2008

David Banes wrote:
> Late to the party here but I like this idea from Axigen, the secure
> email server people;
>
> - Axigen 6.1 also features Country Filtering, which enables system
> administrators to determine geographic locations based on IPs and create
> rules accordingly, such as banning or allowing emails sent from selected
> countries.
>
> As an email security company this is one of the techniques we use on
> clients firewalls, not fool proof but  a good tool to have in the kit bag.

I think this is an idea that works better for some sites than others.
As a research institute, we have faculty members who regularly need to
communicate with other researchers in just about every country
imaginable.   As such, this is a technique we can't employ for email,
and likely wouldn't be able to employ for jabber.