[Operators] DNSBLs

Kevin Smith kevin at kismith.co.uk
Thu Nov 19 14:20:30 CST 2009

On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 7:57 PM, Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter at stpeter.im> wrote:
> I'd also like some feedback on my proposal for server reputations. A
> server is not boolean "good" or "bad", but probably some shade of grey.
>  I think that a new server on the network would start with a score of
> zero. Its score would go up for:
> Its score would go down (negative) for:
> My main concern here is that we have objective criteria for scoring
> servers, not arbitrary decisions by DNSBL operators.

The interesting thing about scores is that you can do sensible things
with them, instead of dead blocking.

For example:
A (very!) high scoring server may be blocked entirely.
A low scoring server, but still notably scored, may be blocked from
sending messages to people not in their roster, or from joining rooms
where they're not members, etc.
Score can be used for rate limiting, etc.

The interesting thing about the former is that it's possible for two
users who want to talk to each other to still do so, or to let users
into chatrooms. This may be particularly interesting where the server
is benevolent, but abused.

/K