[Operators] Operators Digest, Vol 19, Issue 5

Adam Seabrook adam at seabrook.me
Thu Sep 17 06:18:10 CDT 2009

I had heaps of trouble installing the chained certificate from
XMPP.net on Openfire

You can get a single root certificate cheaply by purchasing a cheap
chained one from GoDaddy using the SSL promo codes that get it down to
$13.00 and then go to RapidSSL who do a free competitor SSL exchange
to trade it in and you get a single root SSL from them.

This may work with the chained certificate from XMPP so you could
potentially get a single root SSL for free.

On 17/09/2009, at 9:13 PM, Azmar wrote:

On 9/9/09 2:04 AM, Florian Thie?en wrote:
 > Hi,
 >
 > please see my following notes as pointers as I'm not in the
position to
 > judge whether your service is being added or not.

Thanks, Florian! :)

 > 1) It seems you haven't set up SRV records yet

This is nice but not necessary.

 > 2) Your website is as you mention still under construction

That's a bigger problem.

 > 3) Your CA is self-signed

That's a really big problem. We accept only services that are
TLS-protected using CA-issued certificates. You can get free certs at
https://xmpp.net/ so there is no excuse for self-signed certs...

Thanks for your comments, I will send another request when the site
will be complete, and i'll get a certificate.