[Operators] DNS local caching resolvers

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Wed Jan 20 16:13:33 CST 2010

FYI, during our testing in the run up to jabber.org this time, I
happened to notice what an impact DNS is to S2S setups, and that
running a local caching resolver is a huge help to an XMPP service.

It helps in two ways:

- It means that previously known queries respond much faster.

- It means bandwidth cost for connection establishment is much lower.

Of course, for most services it's not going to be a massive impact
(and for big public deployments, you've probably already done this),
but I thought I'd mention it while I remembered.

Dave.
Dave Cridland - mailto:dave at cridland.net - xmpp:dwd at dave.cridland.net
  - http://dave.cridland.net/